Saturday, May 12, 2012

thoughts on the news of the day: teachers


hmmm…..
            I was talking to a member of our church the other day who had been a teacher before he retired 20 or so years ago.  He mentioned the fact that when he still lived in the town where he taught, grown men and women would come up to him and introduce themselves as someone he had taught over his career.  The students always seemed surprised that he didn’t remember their names.  No telling how many kids had come to his classroom over the years, but while he didn’t remember their names, they always remembered his. 
            Isn’t that the way it is?  I remember several of my teachers in school.  One was the bane of our existence.  Her name was Sister Amata (really, I’m not kidding).  She was a little bit smart, a little bit senile, and a little bit mean.  We gave her fits, but we remembered her.  Then there was a teacher named Sister Victima (not kidding again.)  She was the nice Sister.  She loved us and we knew it.  One day she gave me a picture of the Blessed Virgin Mary because I was the best behaved kid that afternoon.  I cherished it for a long, long time.  If they are still alive, I am sure they wouldn’t remember my name, but I will always remember theirs.
            Teachers have a huge impact on our lives.  There is probably not a person in our country today who doesn’t remember at least one teacher who had a positive impact on their life.  We seem to take them for granted.  Wonder why?
            hmmm…..

No comments:

Post a Comment