Monday, May 28, 2012

thoughts on the news of the day: memorial day


hmmm…..
            On this day in 2006, my Mom passed away.  I’ll probably never forget that day.  We knew my Mom was sick and that it was near the end.  My plan was to preach that Sunday in Durant, OK and then my daughter and I would drive up to Tulsa to be with my Mom and my family until she passed.  At the close of the service, we stood as a congregation and sang (coincidentally) my Mom’s favorite hymn.  I had this sense that my Mom was passing by … maybe even saying farewell. 
            After the service, we headed toward Tulsa, I called my brother to say we were on our way and he said, “Well … I didn’t want to tell you this while you were driving, but Mom has already passed away.”  Somehow I knew that it had happened.  Maybe it was just my imagination, but it has comforted me since that day to feel like Mom had said goodbye.
            Recently one of our politicians said that someday the memory of a loved one will bring a smile before it brings tears.  He was trying to console families who had lost someone who had been a casualty while serving in the military.  These were not casual remarks; he spoke from his own experience of losing some of his family members in a tragedy. 
            It is always hard to say goodbye to someone we love.  But Memorial Day marks a time when we can remember with joy those who have gone before us; those we will always hold closely in our hearts.
            hmmm…..

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is great, Nancy. I actually do remember my Dad with a smile...and mostly feel like he is right beside me all the time.

    ReplyDelete